Above: ilab Bootcamp Participants
Following its largest pool of applicants ever, and an intense 3-day bootcamp for 30 shortlisted startups and 60 founders from across Queensland, ilab has announced the successful startups for its upcoming summer Germinate accelerator program.
ilab’s Germinate 6 cohort will be:
- Audeara – Rapid and remote hearing diagnosis
- App Company – Tracking life’s journeys
- myRumbl – Smart food distribution
- CloudPoint – Cloud platform integration for SMEs
- MyShopInternational – International affiliated shopping
- A.M 3D Industries (Townsville) – Fitness industry
- Evolving Machine Intelligence – Big data pattern recognition and control for enterprise
- Street Eats – Street food ordering disruption
- ModHub – Global analytics sharing for engineers.
This application and selection process was positive on a number of levels:
- ilab received the largest application pool to date reflecting the growing recognition of the value of the Germinate accelerator program in Queensland’s startup ecosystem.
- ilab’s regional outreach activities are paying off with 16% of applications from regional centres outside of Brisbane.
- There is an important spread of industries represented in the final group – health, ecommerce, food, retail, travel, fitness, SMEs and Enterprise. Two hardware plays are also in the final selected list.
- ilab and the Queensland startup ecosystem has done a lot of work in promoting the benefits of balanced multi-skilled teams in being able to make fast progress. This was rewarded with a strong tech / business balance in the shortlisted teams.
ilab Director Bernie Woodcroft: “The ilab team, mentors and judges are always inspired to see the creativity and dedication of all the entrepreneurs and this group was no exception.
“There is huge entrepreneurial energy on show during the bootcamp weekend and to be part of that is a privilege. All startups, not just those who are successful in getting entry to Germinate 6, get tremendous value from their experience. Over the bootcamp weekend, the startups grow and morph in response to questions, other founders, pitching challenges and mentor guidance.
Dr Callum Potts, co-founder Audeara commented “This is not your garden variety bootcamp weekend. The mentors and entrepreneurs-in-residence are there to give you bluntly practical information, and their advice embodies the ‘lean’ mantra. We improved orders of magnitude each day – just when you think you’re getting comfortable in your approach, confronting and challenging new advice comes along and you’re improving by another order of magnitude.”
ilab’s Germinate program commences November 24 and will run for 3 months.
ilab operates as part of UniQuest, the commercialisation arm of The University of Queensland with the support of the Queensland Government.
All enquiries to be directed to:
Bernie Woodcroft, ilab Director,
0402 893 117,