- Director, ilab Accelerator and HYPE UQ SPIN Global Sportstech Accelerator, The University of Queensland
- Bachelor Engineering (Electrical Hons), Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors
Bernie’s career has included:
- 5 years Startup mentoring, program design and eco-system influence with the ilab UQ initiatives
- Establishing the HYPE UQ Sports technology program in partnership with global universities
- Key early employee in an Australian startup that became globally successful
- 4 years in North America taking Australian technology to the global market
- In depth experience in US, South Asia and Australia markets and cultures
- Global Vice President roles in a US Fortune 500 company and executive roles in Public Health
- Industrial design and business development
Bernie’s experience includes
- Startups and Innovation – Educating entrepreneurs and startups to shift goal posts, think big, find investment, personally develop and execute. During Bernie’s directorship of ilab UQ, over 140 startups have been supported by ilab’s accelerator / incubator programs and these companies have raised over $40m in early stage investment and over 2,000 mentor sessions have been organised by ilab UQ.
- Executive Leadership – VP, General Manager and Company Director roles across domestic, US and Asian marketplaces.
- Exits and Acquisitions – Executive role in 3 exit / acquisitions combined transaction value US$320m.
- Business Development and relationship management – identification, execution and growth of strategic new business and partnerships
- Customer, Stakeholder and Partner focus – Generate confidence and build environments that are collaborative, get things done, and solve problems.
- Program Delivery Management – Deliver complex products, projects and programs with risk appropriate tools, and based on formal training.
- Enabled hi-tech products and solutions across health, resources, government, telecommunications and finance sectors.
Specialties: Innovation and Design, Startups, Executive Leadership, Customer and Stakeholder Engagement, Commercialisation, Program Management, Strategy and Governance